"Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all." -Harriet Van Horne

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Best Ever Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake


I made this cake while my in-laws were here last week. My mother-in-law raved about, and even though it's stupid-easy (remember what I said about loving a box cake mix?), I'm going to post the recipe so she can have the recipe whenever she wants it. I got it out of a Kraft Food and Family magazine back in 2006, but have never made it before last week. We were craving chocolate, and I wanted something I could make fast!

1 pkg (2-layer size) chocolate cake mix
1 pkg (4 serving size) instant chocolate pudding mix
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1 pkg (8 squares) Semi-sweet baking chocolate, divided (I didn't have squares, so I used chocolate chips. 1 square = 1 oz, so it 's about 3/4 of a bag of chocolate chips)
1 tub (8oz) cool whip, thawed

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 9" round cake pans. Beat cake mix, dry pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, and water in large bowl with an electric mixture on low speed until just moistened. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes or until well blended. Stir in 2 oz of the chocolate (chopped if you used the squares, or 2 oz of chocolate chips). Spoon into prepared pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire rack. Loosen cakes from side of pans with spatula or knife. Invert cakes onto rack; gently remove pans. Cool completely.

Place remaining 6 oz chocolate and whipped topoping in medium microwavable bowl. Microwave on high 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Stir until well blended and shiny. Cool five minutes. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread 1/4 of the chocolate mix over cake. Place the second layer on top; spread remaining choclate mixture over top and sides of cake.

*I really liked the frosting on this cake. Very tasty and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment