"Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all." -Harriet Van Horne

Monday, June 21, 2010

Mom's Homemade Onion Rings


Another personal favorite.

1 large vidalia onion, sliced about 1/4" thick (and it's important that it's a vidalia)
1 c flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 c milk (I used buttermilk yesterday b/c I had some I needed to use up)
1/2 c vegetable oil for batter, plus extra for the pan

Slice onions and separate into rings. Pat rings dry in between two dish towels. Coat well with flour. Dredge the rings into the batter. Let excess drip off (use tongs if you don't want to get your hands all gooey). Fry a few at the time (don't crowd the pan) in a cast iron skillet in about 1" of oil until golden brown. I put my cooked rings on my Pampered Chef cooling rack over a cookie sheet (so the excess oil can drip down and away from the rings so they don't get soggy), and then put the rack in a 250 degree oven to keep them warm and crisp why you finish frying the others.

I *love* these, especially with steak and potatoes.

1 comment: