"Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all." -Harriet Van Horne

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Recipe Organization



My mom is a recipe cutter. If she sees one she likes in a magazine or the newspaper, she rips it right out. David makes fun of me because this is my favorite past-time on long car rides. I come with my stack of magazines that I haven't had time to read and then I catch up, and I tear out. My mom's organizational system for her recipes is something I have copied exactly. She has a huge three ring binder with page dividers according to types of recipes. Appetizers, Breads, Chicken, Desserts, etc. From the time I was in high school I have been collecting recipes. I have organized them in the same way as my mom, except I have THREE of those huge three-ring binders, with a soon-to-be added fourth. I also have a recipe box that is stuffed FULL. My step-mother copied several of her favorite recipes onto index cards and gave them to me in a recipe box several years ago; one of my favorite gifts ever. I love having my recipes organized so I don't spend 30 minutes digging through drawers looking for the recipe I want to make.

What is your system? Do share.


Most of my cookbook/recipe books collection. I had to weed out some with this move. Books are heavy and we have weight limits on our moves in the military. I think I got rid of five. Maybe six. And it was painful. I love them. I read them like novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment