"Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all." -Harriet Van Horne

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Zucchini Bread


This is the week of zucchini posts! I made zucchini bread yesterday (along with a million other things! A cake for a baby shower, mini cupcakes and bacon cheese mini appetizers for the same baby shower, and a chicken vegetable crockpot meal for my family's dinner. Long day in the kitchen!).

Anyway, I love zucchini bread, banana bread, and any of those other breads that should really be called cake. Sara Katherine keeps asking me for a piece of cake while pointing to the zucchini bread. I'm not sure why we even call them breads.

I love to put chocolate chips in my zucchini bread (about 1 cup's worth), and the only reason I didn't yesterday is I just forgot. Too much going on.

I got this recipe out of a Taste of Home magazine and really like it.

3 eggs
2 c sugar
1 c vegetable oil
2 t vanilla
1 t grated lemon peel
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon
2 c shredded zucchini (about 2 medium ones)
1/2 c chopped nuts, optional

In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs and sugar. Beat in oil, vanilla and lemon peel. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to sugar mixture and mix well. Stir in zucchini and nuts. Pour into TWO greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans.

Bake at 325 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean. Cool for ten minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack.

I love that it makes two loaves. One to eat; one to share. :)



2 comments:

  1. Hey jeni! I was searching a bunch of saved sites looking for dinner inspirations and I saw this. I thought it might put some of your zuchini to good use. I have never tried it though...so I can't vouch for it! http://velvetcrumbs.typepad.com/cupcakes/2009/10/chocolate-zucchini-cupcakes-.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum I love Banana bread and Zucchini bread. I am sitting here at work and this picture is making me hungry. To answer you question from a LONG time ago (sorry), taking pics requires good day light lighting (natural light) and lighter backgrounds to make the picture lighter. Love your posts!

    ReplyDelete